ANST - The Sword of State (don't delete)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Thu Jan 8 03:31:42 PST 1998

On  8 Jan 98 at 10:32, Baronman wrote:

> I can notify the local pawn shops around this area- Manfred is
> right, unless the stolen stuff is hanging in an SCA abode ( which I
> know could never happen) some one will be trying to raise cash off
> of what was stolen.

having helped a friend try to track some stolen blades, notifying the
pawn shops will be pretty much a waste of time ... swords and other
archaics are so unique that there is probably a good police record
describing them.  all pawn purchases are logged and reported to the
police (by law), especially anything "unique".  ergo, a pawn dealer
will rarely touch a blade offered for pawn or sale ...

semi - intelligent thieves will avoid trying to move high profile
item through the pawn system due to the paper trail it leaves back to
them .

better to keep an eye on the newspaper for sale lists or the tables
at gun shows (make up flyers and pass them out ... ).

more than likely, it was traded for drugs ... and is now sitting
behind someones couch.  in time it will turn up in the system, so
make sure there is a *detailed* police report on file and you might
see it again.

above is all information garnered from a local theft detail detective

to all owners of steel, i recommend the following for each item
you own:

- keep a *detailed* photo record, if any unique details note them
   with a closeup photo.
- keep a detailed written descriptions, with all unique identifiers
  noted
- if overly valuable, get a appraisal and attach
- if purchased, keep copy receipts attached
- list on your insurance, purchase special coverage if needed
- always keep weapons secured and out of site when in transit (out of
  sight, out of mind)
- update your "inventory" yearly
- at event, keep a secured and lockable chest to store the gear you
  aren't wearing away from SCAdian theives (they do exist).  else
  lock things in the trunk of your vehicle
- invest in a low end gun-safe for the overly valuable

'wolf
... all in all, apply common sense to the matter

... In Mortis Veritas