ANST - Court Herald Style

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Thu Jan 8 13:47:17 PST 1998

	<<Comments below>>

These notes are not just for court, but for any public performance.

They'll never know about some of the mistakes.  The following is an
invented scenario: "Shit, where's the insignia?!  Quick! they're
already coming up the aisle!!"  "I know them, so I'll give them my
insignia and tell them I'm so impressed with them, and dig another
out
of the baronial box later."  In a play, if you forget the exact line,
try to do the sense.

Pendaran writes:

Well, Daniel, you're invented scenario happens all the time. Something
that I'm certain you are quite aware of. However, I'll share a real
life incident that occurred during TRM Kein and Alisha's Twelfth Night
court during Their first reign:

There Majesties decided to make Baron Hakkon, (sp?), then Baron of
Bonwicke a Lion of Ansteorra. I had forgotten to get Hakkon's full
name, (forgetting one of the three Ps of heraldry - Preparation), and
didn't think about it until the end of court when I called the Order
of the Lions into court. Immediately after calling the Lions, I turned
to Master Cynric, who was Sable Scroll at the time, and told him that
I didn't know Hakkon's full name. Cynric asked me if the king knew. I
thought that was a good idea, so while Cynric dived for his edition of
the OP and as the Lions made their way forward, I leaned over Kein's
shoulder and asked Him what Hakkon's last name was. He looked at me
very casually and informed me that He had no idea.

As Kein got up and began to extol the virtues of the Order of the
Lions, I was hissing at Cynric to hurry up and find Hakkon's name and
he was hissing back at me to keep my hosen on; and that he couldn't
concentrate with me looming over him and so forth. I abandoned
pestering Cynric in favor of asking about behind the thrones for
anyone from Bonwicke who would know their Baron's last name.
Of course, no Bonwicke folk were back there at the time. About that
time, Kein turned to me and instructed me call the next Lion of
Ansteorra forward. As I drew in a deep breath to call "His Excellency,
Baron Hakkon What's His Name" (or some such nonsense), I saw Cynric
stand up next to me, facing forward as though nothing were amiss. I
called out "Will His Excellency Baron Hakkon"
and Cynric whispered "Dedekker" (sp??) and I repeated the last name
without breaking stride and no one in front of the thrones was any the
wiser for our moments of panic.

Cynric and I were approached after court by a very nice lady who told
me that she was impressed how smoothly Kein and Alisha's courts always
ran and that we were obviously very prepared and at ease behind the
thrones. Cynric and just smiled, thanked her for the compliment and
laughed to ourselves. if only the general populace knew how often such
things happen. :)

-Pendaran