ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

John Ruble jruble at exchange.urocor.com
Mon Jan 12 10:26:42 PST 1998

Zara Zina said:

> After attending Steppes 12th Night and watching many of my friends
> have to attend meeting after meeting, and not get to dance or visit
> with friends, or to even be able to finish their meals, I wish to put
> forth a radical idea.  What about having a Kingdom Event that is held
> specifically for meetings?

Such an event would undoubtedly end up like any other event.  Someone
would offer to do a lunch (period style, of course) for the attendees,
so they would not have to break to go to McDonalds.  Several people
would complain that they had to go to this @*!%$ event just to deliver a
two minute report.  Other low-level activities would get scheduled to
entertain those waiting for their particular meeting to start.
Children's activities should be considered for those parents who cannot
find baby-sitters or for some other reason need to bring their children
with them to this day-long business meeting.

When (or if) the meetings are over, many people will want to socialize.
Some place for dancing, bardic, or other activies would have to be
considered by the autocrat. This would be necessary as a "cool-off"
mechanism for some of those post-meeting tempers. And in the end, many
meetings have no point in happening if the work done in the meeting
cannot be put into effect, such as by telling the general populace,
elevating the peer, informing the branch marshals, banishing the
heralds, etc.  Some of these are time critical, and some lose their
impact if not delivered from Authority immediately.

I know that some double- or triple-peer GOOFS (read: people with
over-commitment problems) would LOVE to line up all their meetings in
one row at one event without having to give up a chance to dance or eat
or sleep or somesuch... But many of the attendees would be there for
only one meeting, and would look for further entertainment afterwards.
In short, the Red-Tape event would turn into just another event, with
two lists, an A&S, a bardic, and a feast.

At least, that's the way I see it.  Maybe someone can figure out how to
keep the event on track.

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
spouse,
*---or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during shipping.
*---Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com