ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

Lee Cavett catsden at texas.net
Mon Jan 12 21:25:34 PST 1998

Vicki Marsh wrote:

> Greetings, Ansteorra,
>
> After attending Steppes 12th Night and watching many of my friends have to attend meeting after meeting, and not get to dance or visit with friends, or to even be able to finish their meals, I wish to put forth a radical idea.  What about having a Kingdom Event that is held specifically for meetings?
> (Un-event idea snipped)

> I do not think that the sight and sound of peers and the nobility shouting at each other and the Royal Family is conducive to the concepts of chivalry and honor that we promote.  How does this look through the eyes of a new person?How long before those that are willing to work for the Kingdom get burned out and stop attending events because they can't have fun anymore?  When every event becomes a time for confrontation and emotional distress?

At the risk of sounding slightly acerbic, perhaps the meetings would take less time, cause less emotional distress, and be less of a spectacle if the over-inflated egos involved would remember that none of what we do here is life and death. In fact, it doesn't make a d--n bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. This is a game. Meetings, rules, and all the rest of it are intended to make the game run smoothly, and provide a framework on which to hang the tapestry we call "the Dream". When that is forgotten, when
the petty sniping, power-brokering, and ego-stroking become more important than "having fun playing Middle Ages", or more important than "having fun re-creating authentic medieval stuff" (a nod to both sides of *that* particular argument), then it is time to stop.

>  We need to find a way to balance business with pleasure, and to keep our ideals ever before us.

Yes.

> Thinking outside the box,
>
> Baroness Zara Zina Theanos

HL Donal O Dochartaigh