ANST - Coronation

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:53:20 PST 1998

At 06:26 PM 1/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:
>
>> I second Daniel's caution.  Unless you have a crowd-wise horse and Alexis is
>> an EXPERIENCED (not as in, Oh, I've ridden a few times) rider, I would
>> caution against it.  Unfortunately, in our modern society, those we would
>
>I do appreciate your concern.  And as autocrat I wouldn't let just
>anyone try to pull off something such as this.  However, Alexis IS an
>experienced rider (he has what now -- 3? -- baronial championships in
>horsemanship).  He is one of the few knights that *has* to have a horse
>incorporated into the ceremony.

Just making sure, guys.  Afterall, we were not exactly neophytes either,
with more than 30 years combined horsemanship just between Gwynno and
myself.  The problem was in misjudging the effect of all the hooha on the
horse.  Also, the event slipped later and later and it got to be 'the
witching hour': that mysterious time right before or at dusk when all horses
are convinced something is about to EAT them.  As I indicated, even the big,
gentle warmbloods were nervous and not as tractable as usual.  Anyone who
knows Ursula or Illusion will tell you that two more calm, rock solid horses
were never bred, but even they were a tad flighty.  I don't blame anyone for
wanting to use their horse in this situation, *especially* someone like
Alexis.  Just keep the crowd back and children out from under foot.  As my
grandfather, who was a cavalryman and a horseman all of his life, said:
*Any* horse can kill you at *any* time.  'Nuff said, subject closed.

Catherine
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |