ANST - Horses - slightly off topic

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:55:11 PST 1998

At 10:23 AM 1/13/98 -0600, you wrote:
>> Yes, Ursula is HUGE, but has a heart of gold, of course, Ursula *was* the
>> one who sat on the table <giggle>.  All joking aside, it was the nervousness
>> on the part of Ursula and Illusion that partially led to Bandit's panic and
>> the Queen's discomfiture.
>>

>> Catherine
>
>Actually it wasn't Ursula. I saw the crowd and how nervous the horses were, so
>once I got down to make my speech I handed her to my squire and told him to get
>her the hell out of there. She was a little jumpy going into the court but
I kept
>her walking in figure 8's before we went in and she stayed calm. I would love
>the opportunity to ride her again. (Even though I still think all horses are
>secretly carnivorous!)

Ri-i-i-ght.  Who was the third horse, then, the one who sat on the table?  I
know it was a mare, and it was Ursula's daughter, but can't remember her
name.  BTW, that whole weekend was the horse weekend from hell.  ON the way
home the next day we blew a tire on the mucking huge 4-horse trailer, hours
trying to get it changed until my lord, Conor came over the hill in his van
to our rescue.  Then back at the farm, Gwynno's old mare, Silver--now
deceased, God rest her ancient bones--had injured herself earlier in the
week by running into a fence or something.  Old, blind horses do things like
that.  Gwynno had treated her wounds and let her graze the rich grass along
the turn-around.  With all the upset and commotion of the week, Gwynno
forgot to put her up and we all started to leave, Gwynno first, then Mariah,
and finally me in my pick-up.  Don't know what spooked Silver but she
decided to bolt and came around the corner of one of the barns, straight at
my brand new truck.  At first I thought she was going to end up in the cab
with me, which would have been fatal to both of us, but she did a twisting
leap at the last minute and bounced down the side of my truck, doing 650
bucks worth of damage, and she didn't even get a bruise!

So, on a really bad event or trip, don't ask "what could happen next?!"
Because that's when the horse will come around the corner and wreck your truck!

The epilogue is that Gwynno has now taken Illusion on to fourth-level
dressage and I have retired, at least temporarily from horses and do much
more sane things...like having babies at forty-five and flying.

Catherine

Well, Conor says what doesn't kill us makes us stronger....sigh...
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |