ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 14 07:18:10 PST 1998

)

>> Seriously, crying wasn't a problem, as far as I heard.  And
>> probably my not being a parent affects my opinions strongly.
>> However, I think it's the parents' responsibility to make
>> sure their children do not affect others in a major way.
>
>Good Morning,
>
>  I am a parent, and I feel the same as you do.
>
>  My lady and myself always *try* to remove our son when he's crying or
>  throwing a fit, be it from court, populace meeting or a restaurant.
>  It's rude to force your child's bad behavior on others, IMHO.

Definitely!  Or church, or a MOVIE, or....

>  As well, letting them play is great. Letting them play near the dias
>  is very inconsiderate, unless it's the child of someone who is actually
>  up there. Letting them run wild and do as they please is rude.

I agree, as you have probably found, letting your child charge around a bit,
as long as s/he is not disruptive is not only easier to deal with, but a
quicker way to tire them out a little so getting them to nap or quiet down
is easier.  There are times when kids hafta be kids.  It doesn't mean
letting them run roughshod over you, or disrupting whatever's going on, but
it does mean letting them explore and burn off energy in a positive way.
There is a big difference between a kid running across the empty dance floor
and maybe sliding a little and letting him do it while emitting a peircing
warcry.  One is acceptable behavior (once again, if not disruptive!), one is
not and it's never too early to start teaching them the difference.  If
they're too young to understand and respond by being quiet, take them out of
the room.

>  Of course, I'm not an expert so don't listen to me or your child might
>  end up like ours instead of "well-adjusted to society".

Alexander does jes' fine, he's perfectly normal and well-behaved...for a
21-month-old. <grin>

Catherine