ANST - Ads on web pages....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Jan 14 02:06:59 PST 1998

On 14 Jan 98 at 8:23, Pug Bainter wrote:

>   There is something that people maintaining "official" SCA webpages
>   should be careful of. The guidelines for "ads" is very vague in
>   this and most Kingdoms. If you want to have a listing of
>   merchants, please try to have it on a different site than the one
>   the "official" webpage is.
>
>   I think I've made sure there are no links directly to merchants
>   from the Ansteorra page, others might want to do the same.

another opinion ..

Tournament Illuminated (TI) is a "official" SCA publication and they
accept and publish *relevent* commercial advertisements.  Most
similar official publications of other organizations do the same.

why?  in mnay cases simply to help defray costs of
service to allow the publicatoion to remain online.  i am
increasingly seeing the same economic realities drive many
web-masters and publishers (it all costs - server time, maintanaence,
repair, front & back bandwidth all cost $$$ ... and lunch ain't
free)

why should web publications be held to a different set of standards
than their dead-tree brethren?

'wolf

... In Mortis Veritas