ANST - Ads on web pages....

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Jan 14 08:22:18 PST 1998

j'lynn yeates said something that sounded like:
> >   There is something that people maintaining "official" SCA webpages
> >   should be careful of. The guidelines for "ads" is very vague in
> >   this and most Kingdoms. If you want to have a listing of
> >   merchants, please try to have it on a different site than the one
> >   the "official" webpage is.
> >
> >   I think I've made sure there are no links directly to merchants
> >   from the Ansteorra page, others might want to do the same.
> Tournament Illuminated (TI) is a "official" SCA publication and they
> accept and publish *relevent* commercial advertisements.  Most
> similar official publications of other organizations do the same.

As does the BlackStar. Both are official publications of SCA, Inc.

> why?  in mnay cases simply to help defray costs of
> service to allow the publicatoion to remain online.  i am
> increasingly seeing the same economic realities drive many
> web-masters and publishers (it all costs - server time, maintanaence,
> repair, front & back bandwidth all cost $$$ ... and lunch ain't
> free)

All of them are understood quite well.

For those groups strapped for money, there are ISPs willing to donate
the cost of the site in order to write it off their taxes. In addition,
a number of the local groups are running them out of personal accounts
that the individual would have with or without the groups web page. This
means there is little or not overhead cost.

> why should web publications be held to a different set of standards
> than their dead-tree brethren?

Although they are "official" Web pages, they are not official
publications of SCA, Inc. This is in part why the disclaimer says:

  This is the Kingdom of Ansteorra's web page, a publication of the
  Kingdom of Ansteorra of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. It
  is not a corporate publication of the Society for Creative
  Anachronism, Incorporated, and does not delineate SCA policies.

There is lots of legalize BS regarding the non-profit status with regards
to this. IMHO it's best, if possible, to just avoid it then to get into
a discussion with the lawyers over it.

Ciao,