ANST - Feast Style [was Steppes 12th Night]

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Wed Jan 14 08:17:13 PST 1998

> kaitlyn mckenna said:
>
> Yes, we also have similar problems in Stargate...usually we do buffet.
>
> At Yule we tried to make the buffet more interesting, less cafeteria
> style.  One Yule we had each table send up one of their own to act as
> their server.  We had large platters for them to bring up for that
> remove of food, and a different person from that table could be
> "server"
> on the next remove.

I know my lady has groused more than once about cafeteria style buffet
feasts, and I tend to agree with her.  I find the veil of medieval
illusion wearing thin when I have to stand in line for half an hour
while watching the dish I had set my heart (or stomach) on disappear.
And trying hard to think of some polite way to chastise "cutters". And
trying hard to think of something ELSE to say to the person in line in
front of me. And trying very hard not to think of how much my feet hurt.
And trying very, VERY hard not to trip the next poor bastard that walks
by and snatch his plate.

The scenario you described, of having an individual from each table hit
the buffet for the whole table, is one I have crossed vary rarely but
enjoyed.  It is hard on the one running the tray back and forth, though.
If the feasters take turns, though, then the impact on their dinner
conversation is lower. The average feast has less than the five hundred
the Steppes managed to feed for 12th Night. Pick a number and divide by
eight per table, and you will see how quickly that feast must run.

Loch Sollier did a feast that was half served, half smorgasbord that
worked very well several years ago.  The main courses were served, but
various sides were placed a tables around the hall.  I grabbed smoked
herring for us all while my friend made sure I was served the lamb &
barley soup.

Still, I like being served feast. It's easier for me to watch the kids,
and I don't have to lose my place in line to go herald, or even worse,
cross an angry picket line of hungry feasters.

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com