ANST - Meetings and Volume at any Court

Vicki Marsh zarazina at flash.net
Wed Jan 14 13:55:36 PST 1998

Greetings, Ansteorra

Zara Zina here.  I just love the Group-think on this list!!!

I have some ideas that help when running Court.  When Llywelyn and I became Baron and Baroness, we wracked our brains (and the brains of our friends) to come up with what does and doesn't work in courts and how to best deal with them.

1.  Only official business should be conducted.

2.  Presentations that can be done at other times (like during feast), should be.  We can speak to the populace during those times and give proper word fame for the presentors.  It does not have to be during court.

3.  It is better to have two - three small courts at each event than to have one huge one. Each one can be very important, but each one is not so long as to be painful.

4. The populace's comfort level (heat, cold, sun-in-the-eyes, hunger, etc.) is more important than our own discomfort.  If we have to move the pavillions or thrones around, or change our time schedules to better fit the weather, then so be it.

5.  Court should not be boring, and neither should the feast.  An entertainment steward (lady-in-waiting, valet, herald,etc.) can help coordinate presentations and performances, if need be.

6.  Always work with your herald (and the Crown and the Crown's herald, if they are there) and the event steward in advance.  Prior planning always pays off.

7.  Surprises are not usually good.

8.  Everything is subject to change at the last minute, so just learn to "go with the flow" and minimize the damage.

9.  Above all, remember to have fun (but never at the expense of others).

Many of these thoughts have been put forth by others on this list.  I do not like the idea of planning AOA or below courts and GOA and above courts, but some courts where TRM are unable to attend end up that way.  Generally, Grants and above are only given out by TRM, but exceptions have been made for some Iris' and Stars of Merit.

Any other ideas for the smooth-running of courts?

Thanks,

Baroness Zara Zina Theanos

"Go Byzantine."
"Keep your kids off artificial colors."