ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts - Brand new, help!

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Wed Jan 14 15:20:18 PST 1998

Greetings!! And Welcome!

::peeks up over the edge of the mail:: I'm brand new to this list and the SCA,
>will someone tell me what AOA/GOA and the like stand for? My introduction is
>forthcomming,  I'll post it tonight, promise. Till then, thank you for your
>patience!
>
>Rowan
>(rowan2u at aol.com)

         AOA stands for Award of Arms, usually the first award a person
receives. It entitles them to be called "Lord Soandso" or "Lady Whoever".
Other "AOA level" awards include the Sable Thistle (for arts & sciences),
the Sable Crane (for service to the kingdom), and the Sable Comet (for
service to a shire or other smaller group).
        GOA stands for "Grant of Arms", a higher level award. This entitles
the bearer to be called "The Honorable Lord X" or "The Honorable Lady Y".
This is often abbreviated "THL" or "HL".  Ansteorran GOA's include , the
Iris of Merit (for Arts&sci), and the Star of Merit (for service).
Additionally, there are 2 fighting "Grant level" orders, with different
titles, The White Scarves of Ansteorra (for Rapier combat, known as
Don/Don~a) and the Centurions (for Armored combat, known as "Centurion")

above all these are the peerages  , the Orders of the Chivalry, Laurel, and
Pelican.

If you have any more questions , feel free to ask!

Timo

ps: if you hear the word "armigerious" (sp?) ,that means bearing Arms, as
all the award above do.

timo
darnedfashionablelefty(atleastfor1moreweek)