ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts

RW. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Thu Jan 15 07:14:17 PST 1998

Absolutely, AOA/GOA courts would be a very bad idea.  There are ways to
lessen the length of our evening courts.  TRM Kein and Alisha have given
AOAs on the fighting field.  It might be possible to move a few AOAs, and
possibly even a Grant of Arms to another court, like the morning court
before the tournament.  Knightings have been done just before a tournament,
why not an AOA.

Creativity is the key, and a desire to make courts more interesting, and
keep them short.  If you start with the idea that court must be kept short,
then I believe that you can find other times and places to give out awards.
Why not give a Sable Thistle while touring the A&S display?  Or, actually go
to the Kitchen (or near it), during the feast and call the cook out and give
them a Service Award (or Arts award as appropriate).  Or why not hold a ten
minute court during a break in the feast and give an award?

As long as we accept that all awards are given in one big evening court,
then courts are going to get longer and longer.  If what we accept is that
court must be kept short, and interesting, then we will find another way.
And absolutely not a separate court for lower level awards.  Even for many
of us who have attained high rank, our AOAs rank as one of the most special
memories of my life.

Conor
lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo