ANST - Mail to ansteorra at ansteorra.org

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jan 15 05:56:06 PST 1998

Morgan Dracos said something that sounded like:
> Is anyone else having trouble logging onto the web page? I am asking this on
> the behalf of several people.

Good Morning,

  I don't know what type of system you are using, so I don't know what
  the tools are that you have to diagnose problems like this are. The best
  tools at hand are ping and traceroute on UNIX systems. These allow you
  to know if you can reach the server or not.

  Ping, which is available on NT/95, as well as a utility called MacPing
  that you can download for the Mac, just tells you if the system is alive
  and in some versions how long it takes to get to the system.

  Traceroute, which I think is available on NT/95 as tracert, tells you
  information about each hop of the way to the system. This will give
  you an indication of where the connection fails as well as which link
  is the slow one.

  If you are behind a firewall, it becomes much more difficult to diagnose
  without some techinical background.

  NOTE: The ISP that the Ansteorra.ORG webpage is located on *does*
    block some other providers to their services. This has been done due
    to repetive attacks coming from these ISPs and the System Admins of
    them not being responsive nor responsible for this instances. I do not
    have a list of these ISPs so I don't know if this is the problem. As
    ISPs become responsive, they remove the blockages.

In Service,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "The problem's plain to see
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   Too much technology."