ANST - Courtesies - (was meetings and vol)

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Wed Jan 14 17:59:05 PST 1998

Of course the ladies of Ansteorra are all more than capable of
representing themselves to the Crown when being called into court,
but many prefer not to have to.

I, also, agree that whoever steps in to escort should be well
enough aquainted with the person to know if they'd prefer to go
unescorted  (due to personna, rank, or just plain personal
preference).  I know for a fact that my Lord sometimes prefers to
enter Court unescorted.  He's been quite embarassed on several
occassions when helpful ladies jump in to escort him.

My personal feeling, however, is that there is a danger in deciding
that no one should step in to escort a lone person into court.
This danger is that we will lose the courtesies that many of us
cherish because we wouldn't find them in the modern world.  Things
like holding a door for someone, or offering to help carry something,
or help set up a tent, etc... (Note I didn't mention gender or rank
specifics).   It's up to all of us (regardless of gender or station)
to show courtesies like these to those around us.  It's one of the
things that makes the caring and camaraderie of our organization so
unique and special.

Besides, it carries over into mundane life, too.  I just love the
thank you's and looks of amazement I get when I offer to hold the
door for someone who is easily 50 years my senior.  It's like I come
from another planet.

Personally, I'd just as soon put up with the occassional unnecessary
escort into court if it means that someone will be there for a person
who wants/needs it later on.  It's just not that big a deal.

My $.25 worth...

- Kat

Katrionna Heather MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra