ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Thu Jan 15 12:07:34 PST 1998

<Mirrim Wrote>

I've worked as a member of Kein and Alisha's entourage for their
entire reign.  The main thing that I've noticed it that it isn't the
giving of awards from the Crown that makes courts so long.  It's
adding local "thank yous" and presenting prizes for competitions and
announcements from the autocrat of the event.  In most cases, if
people were a bit more organized, the courts would have flowed much
smoother and faster.  At several events, TRM had planned to give
awards during the day (attack courts) but other business like circle
meetings left them with no time.

<Pendaran Sez>

I couldn't agree more with Mirrim concerning the length of courts. If
you think back to some of the courts that you've attended lately, I
bet you'll realize that most of the time in court was taken with the
winners of lists, A&S contests and so forth. I know that I've seen
many a steward talk for a long time about their event. I also know
that once we start reading scrolls, things go pretty quickly. Another
reason that slow downs often occur in baronial courts is lack of
experience. I've found that few groups have truly seasoned local court
heralds. This is not meant to slam anybody nor question their
abilities. Its just a statement on experience. When a herald is
inexperienced, things often take longer than with an experienced
herald. Believe me, I'm not knocking baronial courts or their heralds.
However, I do think that groups should hold tiny tourneys and mini
event type things that would help train new heralds, (and provide a
lot of fun in many other areas).

-Pendaran

Just about all the business that happens in court should be there.
You have to remember that there are a huge number of people doing
amazing work in this kingdom and they deserve their recognition.  The
best thing anyone can do to help make courts shorter is to help the
autocrat, Baron/Baroness, or whoever else get organized beforehand
and help them hand out whatever.  It can take up to 1/2 hour before
court just to get the award insignia organized so TRM can grant
awards smoothly.

I do agree that if someone isn't very interested in the court
proceedings, it would be polite to at least move to the back of the
hall and not sit in the second or third row.  OTOH, if you really
want to see and hear court SIT CLOSE!  Just about every court Kein
and Alisha had, Kein started by asking everyone to sit closer.
Usually the first people to move their chairs up for court don't want
to sit in the front row.  Just leave a 5 foot center aisle and a 10
foot space before the thrones.

Ditto to all of that!

Mirrim
(who gets to go back to practicing the fine art of "court avoidance"
starting this weekend!)