ANST - Paganess (was: Adopt me - Rowan)

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Thu Jan 15 14:27:30 PST 1998

'Wolf wrote in reply:
> > based stuff (supposedly) that we do. Though there are a fair amount
> > of pagans in the SCA it would be more appropriate to express your
> > paganness through other organizations.
>
> "it would be more appropriate to express your paganness through other
> organizations"
>
> take a step back and look at that sentence and what it convey's to a
> new-comer looking for a place in the SCA.
>
> if there is room for christians / moslems / buddhists / ... to
> explore the historical side of their nature, there is plenty of room
> .. in fact there *must* be room for the pagan types to do the same

Simple answer. Use your head.  No one gets too offended or upset if a
Viking type yells "Odin" before leaping into a melee.  Now, if they saw
him, knife in hand, leading a goat over to a rock, they'd be pretty
upset.  (Unless he was the feastocrat, yum!)  Exposing the religious
side of your personae should never be frowned on if done in good taste.

The problem is always that we are recreating in a modern world.  How
many times does wearing a tunic get you singled out for harassment by
some yokel who thinks you're wearing a dress?  We cannot expect the
average American to know the difference between, say, a Mythras
worshipper of the second century A.D. and a "devuhl wursh'ppur" of the
twentieth century.  At least a Muslim they've seen on television.

> whenever one segment is singled out, that's called discrimination and
> can not be tolerated - either officially or un-officially.

Fine sentiments. But historically unattainable, at least to date.  Keep
working on it, and maybe one day...

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com