ANST - Celts and Pagans

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Fri Jan 16 09:54:44 PST 1998

<"Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>>
>In early SCA period, a Celt would be more likely to use a clan identity
>than a regional identity.  National identities really get started around
>1000 C.E. for the Celts and were secondary to the clans for many years.

I tend to think of the term "Celt" as similar to "Indian", and that it
gets misued about as often.

>The Gaelic Scots originate with the invasion of what was to become
>Scotland by a band of Irish sea rovers about the 1st Century B.C.  They
>invade the North about the same time Julius Caesar was invading the
>South.

Or even later.

<PKieferjr <PKieferjr at aol.com>>
>Odd.....if I were a "christian" in that particular period, wouldn't every
>other major religion be considered "pagan"?

If you were in the Roman and post-Roman era, you would probably be
thinking of the practictioners of the Roman religion, and the
uncivilized hicks who practice their *heathan* ways.  Later, in the
Middle Ages, you might, if you thought in those terms at all.

Diarmuit Ui Dhuin
LIB_IMC at Centum.utulsa.edu