ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jan 15 19:20:25 PST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Lee Martindale <lmartin at airmail.net>
wrote:
> The thought occurs that if the Kingdom would care to
> supplement the Steppes' 12th Nite budget, even to the
> point of picking up hall rental, a more suitable site
> could be had.

*derisive snort* At the risk of being beheaded on my next
visit for betraying the Baron, the Steppes is the one group
in the kingdom *least* needing subsidy.

A tangent: my SCA pet peeve #67 is that SCA group
hospitality isn't, guests aren't.  When was the last time
you charged a mandatory fee to guests in your home?  Such
people aren't guests, they're paying customers -- and then
they're often asked to pitch in and help for free.  I'm
strongly in favor of SCA donation events.  (If it is thought
useful people arriving are shown the estimated cost per
person.)  Some will pay less than cost or nothing, some will
pay more, and I'd bet that the net take would be roughly the
same.  At present, the Steppes could afford to try an
experiment on any event they have, even Steppes Warlord, and
not cause a significant risk to the treasury even if they
got absolutely zero bucks at the gate.

Daniel "a bankroll big enough to choke a small horse, which
in fact they *did* for 12th Night, but that's another story"
de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.