ANST - Adopt me - Rowan

Rowan2u Rowan2u at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 08:41:09 PST 1998

<< On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, j'lynn yeates wrote:
 > if there is room for christians / moslems / buddhists / ... to
 > explore the historical side of their nature, there is plenty of room
 > ... in fact there *must* be room for the pagan types to do the same

   Unless of course you're talking about a definitely non-period belief
 system such as any of the "neo-pagan" types like Wicca, many of the
 goddess sects, etc.  Some of the more popular ones didn't even exist 100
 years ago.  Please don't respond saying that "..." did, note the word
 "some" in the previous sentence.
   The word pagan comes from (if I remember correctly) the latin word for
 country dweller.  Meaning that true pagans were most likely germanic
 tribes and their Odin/Wotan/??? Norse-ish pantheons.  The Christians
 adopted it to mean anything non-Christian and since then it's gotten more
 and more butchered...

   Just a small tidbit of what mind I have left...

 Felipé San Juan >>

::nods nods nods:: yes, all of that is true. My religion is a reconstruction,
and like the SCA, we can't possibly get everything just like it was.. because
we're just not sure! But we try.

And you're right about Pagan, I use it in the modern ( butchered) sense
because I'm not used to people who know the diff! ::smiles:: I'm glad you do.

Rowan