ANST - heraldry and names

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Jan 16 05:55:18 PST 1998

Tim McDaniel wrote:

> The problem is that, for a good answer, I should write
> articles on
>
> - what is historical documentation?
> - what is documentation for a name?
> - what is SCA name registration?
> - what is the difference between historical accuracy and SCA
>   registration?  Which should you go for?
> - what is the importance of selecting an SCA first name?

If you do ever decide to write articles on some or all of
these, I would love to be able to place them in the
Florilegium where others could read them. I think it
would be quite useful to the Society as well for
both newcomers to the SCA and those who have been around
for awhile.

The copyright of any articles submitted to me for
inclusion in the Florilegium remain with the author.
I will pull or update such articles at anytime upon
request by the author.

Currently, I have these similar articles and message files:
names-FAQ         (14K)  5/ 8/96    Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
    (in the NEWCOMER'S section)

names-msg         (68K)  3/24/97    Name sources, naming practices.
names-Irish-msg   (36K)  4/21/97    Sources and comments on Irish names.
names-Norse-msg    (9K)  1/16/97    Sources and comments on Norse names.
names-Scot-art    (23K)  9/14/95    Article on medieval Scottish names.
names-Scot-msg     (9K)  1/ 2/97    Sources for period Scottish names.
Scot-fem-nam-lst  (14K)  5/21/96    List of Scottish feminine personal names.
    (in the PERSONA section)

The names-msg file has some messages in it about some other websites that
various heralds have put together. There are some excellant name sources
and name lists at these sites.

Ld. Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net