ANST - Event costs

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 16 14:50:15 PST 1998

John Ruble wrote:

> You are correct that most folk don't realize the cost for things not
> immediately visible.  I will maintain my point, though, and second > Rumil about taking a long range look at the growth of the funds.  If a > group ends up with a significant percentage increase in funds at the > end of the year, then they should consider their gate fees may be too > high.
>

> Ulf Gunnarsson

That view somewhat seems to assume that all large expenses happen on a
yearly basis while this is not the case.  New pavilions may be purchased
only once evry decade or so, the need to buy any large piece of
equipment may come up only rarely, but when sufficiently large, the
funds simply cannot be accumulated over the few events that we can
sponsor in a single year.  Especially if we do as we have done at times
in the past and show an increase in numbers of groups in the Kingdom out
of proportion with the increase in new members.  What happens  then (and
has happened in this kingdom in the past) is that we have more groups
holding events, without a proportionately large increase in the numbers
of people attending them, therefore the profits for the groups
decrease.  This decrease has to be made up somehow in order to keep
functioning.

There have also been rumblings on this list about such things as land
funds, etc.  In order for a group to be able to make any sort of a major
purchase, their bank account must grow at a fairly decent rate to be
able to put aside enough to even be able to consider such a purchase.

I don't think that anyone would disagree that to increase site fees to
an exorbitant amount simply for the purpose of swelling a groups bank
account beyond reason is not a nice thing.  The argument would seem to
be over what amount is exorbitant, and what level is reasonable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, believe it or not, Ansteorra has
some of the lowest site fees in the Known World.  Check it out in some
other Kingdom's newletters.  I do.

Graf Galen K.