ANST - Proposition: a Kingdom Business Meeting

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Mon Jan 19 08:42:48 PST 1998

>Well, I will promise you all one thing!  If you decide to do the business
>meetings that way...I will keep your coffee mugs full!  I think you are all
>really on to a great idea.  There are many of us who would do LOTS so you
>could get your business out of the way and we could have you to enjoy at
>other events.  Ulrica

I have a question about this.  Suppose you are in an order that does not
typically have a long meeting; say, the White Scarfs.  Do you want to
travel 4 to 8 hours for a 30 minute meeting and nothing else?  No music, no
dancing, no tournament, no feast?  It seems to me that almost anything
would be preferable to that.

If you are determined to move meetings away from events, then how about a
group conference call instead?  Sure that would be expensive, but not as
expensive as dozens of tanks of gas, motel fees, and the cost of putting on
a mini event for the meetings.  You might even get better participation,
since travel would no longer be a restriction.  I know the old argument
about phones not being the same as face-to-face, and it is a valid point.
It really is not as good.  But is it good enough?

How about a hybrid conference call and face-to-face?  Like if you had a
couple of telephone links in each region, with all the meeting individuals
gathered to one of these sites.  You could still make faces at those
members of your order that were from your area, and it would eliminate
having to rent a hall or travel more than an hour or two.  (And if you got
bored or fed up, you could just hang up!)

Rumil