ANST - Celtic "races" (was some endlessly repeated other subjectheading)

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Mon Jan 19 10:18:24 PST 1998

<Daniel de Linconia<Tim McDaniel <tmcd at crl.com>>>
>Um, I wrote "Celtic race".  The only people we'd call Celts
>that Charlemagne may have ruled was Brittany, and I don't
>recall offhand if he ever got there.  (I dimly recall some
>anomaly about its status vis a vis the kingdom of France.)
>Not Galicia in northern Spain, and he certainly didn't rule
>Ireland, Wales, or Scotland!

You know, since the Celtic tribes who inhabited Gaul never actually left,
it could be argued that the French, although they pronounce the word oddly,
are *still* in fact "racially Celtic" (whatever the heck that means),
they just don't speak a Celtic language.  This does mean, however, that
many people what Charlemagne ruled were, in fact, "Celtic".

It is a fallacy to suppose that all Celts were alike.

>The Romans left Britain after "600 AD or so"?

Officially, the Roman army abandoned Britain (I believe) in 430 CE, and
many of the remaining "Romans" eventually wound up being pushed back
into Wales, while many, many others remained, once more having their
cultural heritages overwritten like a new file on an old disk ("once
more", since they were actually the tribes left over from before the
Romanization obscured their tribal distinctions, and the Roman army
worked to blot out their religious structure)), by the various Saxon
tribes.

Just thought I'd mention it

Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
LIB_IMC at Centum.Utulsa.edu