ANST - Adopt me - Rowan

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 20 10:50:22 PST 1998

At 11:11 AM 1/20/98 MST, you wrote:

>It is important to understand that the SCA is not the same as a
>pagan organization; while we have many pagans, and welcome
>them, or should, the same way as those of other faiths or those
>who abjure any type of faith, it is important to understand that
>the SCA is not by default "pagan" in the modern sense of the
>word, nor do different rules appy to pagans than to moslems/
>christians/zoroastrians/odin-worshippers/jews.  In other words,
>they have no more license to practice openly in a way that
>offends others, nor to proselytize, than any other religion or
>creed.

The SCA is, or should be, by its bylaws, a-religious, not anti-religious.

>other alternative faiths who sort of assume that everyone in
>the SCA also practices some sort of alternative religion or else
>they'd be in church instead of at events on Sundays.

Hmm...somehow I rarely make it to church even when I'm not at an event
(which is most of the time lately), but it hardly means I'm in danger of
losing my faith ;^).

>I'm not a pagan.  I have many friends who are.  I gently remind
>them now and again that not everyone celebrates Beltane,
>Samhein, etc.

Sure we do, we just call them by other names.  Halloween, Easter, All
Saints, what have you. 8^)

Catherine