ANST - Court Herald Style

Jocelyn Hinkle scribe_ari at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 10:51:08 PST 1998

---"Martin, Brian"  wrote:

> Mark.S Harris wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions on how someone should or should not do this voice
> warm up?
> >
> > Stefan li Rous
>
> Pendaran responds:
>
> When I warm up my vocal chords, I start out with deep breaths from
the
> diaphragm to get into the proper breathing mode. I then start with
> some deep pitched, low rumblings and "mee mee mee" type stuff. After
> few minutes, I bring up both the pitch and level of my voice I little
> at a time until I am "quietly" projecting my voice to a few feet
> around me. By then, I usually feel ready to talk to a few hundred
> people at once.

My turn,
 (hate this weather.. nosebleed city)

Anyway. As all my voice coaches use to say " Feet even with your
shoulders, and breathe below the belt." We would spend time pushing
our breath with our lower abdomen like 2-3 minutes. It gets to be
painful, but if you don't have those muscles (sp?) you can't project
effectively. Practicing scales is also good but mostly for singers,
normal speech (unless you are a valley-girl) falls within a regular
range. As for heralds themselves i feel that men usually make better
heralds due to having lower voices. Low tones carry farther. Simple
acoustics there. Acoustics are also a problem in themselves. A hall
full of 500+ people can swallow up just about any noise. Outdoors
there is nothing to focus the noise in a smaller area. (ripples in a
pond and all that theory) Also If you are planning on singing,
speaking or projecting at all stay far away from sodas, milk, beer,
sugary drinks anything that produces phlegm. Water is your best bet,
mint water is even better. the mint is soothing and refreshing and in
warm water, gives the impression of coolness.

Do I talk to much? I might, but thats how I get to meet people.

Joy to all
Ari
==