ANST - Adopt me - Rowan

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Tue Jan 20 12:11:38 PST 1998

> > I know
> > many people who are convinced that most other SCAers are
> > all Christians at some level and are rabid against them, whereas
> > my take has been of meeting far more Wiccans/neo-pagans/ other
> > alternative faiths who sort of assume that everyone in the SCA
> > also practices some sort of alternative religion or else they'd be
> > in church instead of at events on Sundays.
>
> Then there are those who practice one religion in their modern
> lives, yet their personna practices another religion.

That would be me.  :-)

I grew up
> protestant and I have a Catholic personna.  I met someone once who
> talked about the fun he was having as a modern Jew, playing a
> Catholic personna.  I have a Christian friend who chose a pagan
> personna.

And that's the joy of our re-creation, that we can make these choices
and explore them on an *intellectual* level if we choose.
Personally, I believe that anything that encourages exploration of
a mindset other than our own is good.

> Like anything else, I prefer to see well-researched personnas.  If a
> personna is a pagan-in-hiding in a Christian-dominant country, then
> that person should not walk around at SCA events spouting, "Hi, I'm
> a pagan!"

BINGO!!!  This is precisely the point I find exercising me.
Likewise, there were a lot of "ninjas" creeping down merchants'
row in broad daylight at Estrella a few years back.

Same idea, slightly different tangent.

  As for myself, as a French Catholic of the 16th century,
> I naturally assume that everyone I meet is also Catholic (unless
> they are a nasty Hugenot), and so I don't discuss it.  My personna
> simply takes it for granted that these things go without saying;
> sometimes Ghislaine gets so comfortable that she forgets her rosarie
> at home....
>
> I support religious choice, and I applaud anyone who is personally
> or personna-ly a pagan.  But like I said, please research it.  Don't
> just dress in a middieval-ish manner and wear your modern, symbolic
> jewelry; find out what a pagan in your chose time period would have
> worn and how they might have behaved.
>
> Ghia

What she said.  Ditto.  Goes for me.  Etc.,,.....

Berengaria