ANST - Court Herald Style

njones at ix.netcom.com njones at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 20 12:23:02 PST 1998

Ghia wrote:
> Once, when I was four years old and screaming at my older brother, my
> mother came up behind me, adjusted my posture, laid her hand on my
> abdomen just under my ribs and said "Breathe *here*, Sweetie." Then she
> walked away.  I was so bewildered I forgot what I was yelling at my
> brother about.

*laugh*

I'm certainly not a professional singer (yet), but I have had the
advantage of a good voice teacher.  One of the reasons why I'm teaching
a class on breath support at wInterkingdom is because I have seen so
many good singers and heralds lose their voice at events from strain.
Straining the vocal cords will eventually cause problems such as vocal
nodes, swelling and worse.

oh, and Ghia, you mother sounds like a sweetie.  My voice teacher is
somewhat of a dragon lady.  There is one excercise she does where she
pushes against my hand, to remind  me to keep up the breath pressure.
The first time she did that I about fell over!  Lots of power in that
little woman.  *grin*

Gio.