ANST - Religions-stuff (was Adopt me Rowan)

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Jan 20 20:58:18 PST 1998

<~Johan<"Alan J. Boertjens" <a-boertjens1 at ti.com>>>
>Happily?  The practice of a religion sticking a holiday on top of
>another religion's holiday is FAR from a happy thing!  Its a
>deliberate, and ruthless, form of marketing.

I'm sorry, I've been away for a while -- so I may be a bit
confused about this:

Are you referring to anyone in particular "sticking a holiday on top
of another's religion"?   I am familiar with both the arguements
that Christians have stolen many of their religious holidays from
their pagan predecessors, as well as the arguements that the modern
pagans have stolen many of their holidays from not only Christianity,
but other pagan religions.

Personally, I suspect that people, from whatever religion, who change
religions, for whatever reason, will retain those bits of folklore and
festivity they are happy with and adapt them to their new faith.  It's
not disrespectful, or theft as much as it is caring too much for something
to leave it behind.

Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
LIB_IMC at Centum.Utulsa.edu