ANST - Qualities of a Peer

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Jan 22 06:02:15 PST 1998

Alastair of Wyvernwood, Trimaris asked:
>Is there any ONE achievement that would say classify as applicable to
>specific recognition by ALL THREE PEERAGES as inherent to each as well
>as to the others for recognition for possible advancement to same? For
>example:  What could I do in armor on the field that would say-
>contribute to BOTH the recognized aspects of the Arts/Sciences peerages
>as well as the Pelicanate.

Although this early morning prose you've placed here in your question is
not clear enough for a caffeine-deprived person's understanding, I think I
understand more or less what you are asking. Or maybe not, but I'm going to
try and answer anyway.

Every Peer is assumed to have certain basic qualities, whether they be a
Knight, a Pelican, or a Laurel.

The old test used to be that a Peer should be able to: play a game of chess
(or a similar type of game to allow for persona differences), dance at
least one type of dance, entertain a group (whether by song, story, etc.),
know the basics of heraldry, in other words, the Noble and Gentle Pursuits.
 A Peer should also be versed in the areas of achievement other than in
their own Peerage, hence a Knight should practice an art or two (or perhaps
serve as a patron of the arts) and perform some service, a Pelican should
know the basics of fighting (not necessarily fight themselves, but be
conversant with the art) and should practice or patron the arts, while a
Laurel should perform some service and know the basics of fighting.

This "checklist" has been reflected in the structure of some tournaments --
Squire's Invitational springs to mind.  Everyone participating in these
tournaments has to show some proficiency in all the areas listed to be
considered for the championship.  I think it leads to a kind of stilted
practice of the gentle arts to use the "checklist" tournament -- "Yup,
Squire Bonehead is ready to be a Knight!  he whupped everyone in the list
and I saw his report card from the tourney showing he satisfied the
requirements for dance, entertainment, gameplaying, and heraldry!"  While
it's good that events of this nature encourage people to develop the Gentle
Arts appropriate to a Peer, I'd rather see people who are working to become
a Peer practice these talents naturally and at other times and places that
the "checklist" event.

Are these things really considered today when making a Peer?  I have yet to
hear my Circle discuss whether or not a candidate can practice the Gentle
Arts.  This may be an old SCA custom that is slipping by the wayside, which
we should look at carefully in order to determine if it is valuable to us
now, and if so whether we might not ought to revive it before it slips
completely into the mists of The Old Days.

OK, so if we aren't looking to see if the Peerage Candidate can practice
the Gentle Arts plus excel in the appropriate field of endeavour, what are
the Peerage Circles looking for?

Overwhelmingly the main answer as to "what are the central defining
features common to all Peers" has to be maturity, stability, and
leadership.  Interestingly enough, I think that the old standard of whether
or not a candidate practiced the Gentle Arts was really addressing
something similar -- by the time someone had been in the SCA long enough to
become conversant in the Gentla Arts and to excel in their field of
endeavor (arts, combat, service), then they probably had acquired the
seasoning and maturity one hopes to find in a Peer.

It is quite possible to have a person excel enormously in one of the three
fields of achievement -- whether it be an artist whose works rival the Old
Masters, a fighter who can and does win every tournament, or one of those
gluttons for punishment who are providing service at all levels and at
every event -- and still have them NOT be a candidate for the Peerage.
Why?  Usually it comes down to a lack of maturity, stability, and/or
leadership.

Now, aside from abstract qualities, there is also the question of specific
arts or acts that might apply to Peerage in all three orders.  Some
examples spring to mind.  Consider a master archer making his own bows and
arrows by hand, who works tirelessly to promote the cause of archery in the
kingdom, and who serves as a heavy archer on the field, wielding both sword
and bow -- this person could easily be doing Peerage-level work in arts,
service, and combat.  Consider the rapier fighter who does impeccable
costuming, works within the rapier community tirelessly, and who achieves
the highest skill in combat, often both rapier and chivalric -- again,
theis is the type of person who may one day find themselves a triple Peer.

I suspect that I've at least hit in the general vicinity of the answer that
was needed.  I'm going for coffee now.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)