Thee/Thine--(was ANST - New Subscriber)

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Jan 22 08:27:44 PST 1998

>Cougar says:
>>I am most happy to make thee (or is it "thine?) acquaintence.
>
>Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace responds:
>
>Actually, it's "your" when addressing multiple listeners/readers.  Also,
>the second person singular is inappropriate for most of the readers on this
>list.  The second person singular of modern English (yes, Renaissance
>English is classified as "Modern") is a familiar form of address, reserved
>for children and loved ones.

Okay, I'll be the one to ask about an exception--I postulated that a "thee"
address might be appropriate for a pre-Invasion Anglcynn persona, as the OE
forms of "you" appear to be closer in sound to "thee"--if you were
considering it as a sort of transliteration/performance error for someone
speaking this odd second language of Ansteorran (aka Modern English).  Am I
way off base?

AElfwyn aet Gyrwum