ANST - Digital Hiring Faires

clward at mmm.com clward at mmm.com
Thu Jan 22 16:03:26 PST 1998

While out cruising the net, I found a very interesting
Patron/Artisan/Sourcelink webpage maintained by the kingdom of AEthelmearc at
http://wishford.ois.uri.edu/ans/sources.htm

The sections look more or less like this:

Patron/Artisan/Sourcelink
Artisans:
     People looking for sponsors, or for projects (aka job-hunters)

Patrons:
     People looking for artists or craftsmen to support

Projects:
     Things people think ought to be done, or are willing to pay to have done,
or projects that people are working on for which they need help, assistance,
information, or money.

Money:
     Possible sources of funds

Non Monetary Resources
     Sources of hard to find objects, materials, and supplies.

Information:
     Sources of information on various topics.

Now, this strikes me as being a very neat idea.  Medieval folks often had
hiring fairs (or used the local Thing or market) as a source for locating
artists and other employees.

Many of the Laurels, other Peers, and Nobles speak from time to time about
wishing to become an artist's patron, but this is all too rare.

I don't know if we need the "Information" category as Stefan li Rous's
Florolegium files serve that purpose nicely.  However, I think it would be neat
to have a way of being able to advertise that one wants to act as a patron, or
is looking for particular goods and service, not to mention the artisans having
a place where they can advertise the fact that they are willing to take
commissions!

I was forced to miss the Feast of St. Oligardio the Gruesome last fall, and so
I missed the hiring faire there where I had hoped to find a
dressmaker/embroider or two to hire (I desperately need new costumes), and a
scribe -- I need a peerage scroll still (I don't even have a promissory for my
Laurel), not to mention the fact that since Cedric became a Laurel, I need a
new household skald (bard, for those of you who are less Vikingly inclined).

If we had an on-line "Hiring Faire" we might could match artists and patrons.
I'd be more than willing to trade skills or even pay to obtain the types of
artisan skills I need!

Does anybody else like this idea?  I am not sure what would be the best way to
set up a website for such a thing -- maybe a "bulletin board" type of thing
(I've seen many websites that had an area where you could type a note that
would immediately appear on the website afterwards).  Pug, how hard is it to
set up a webpage to do this?

If the Kingdom site is not interested in hosting a "Hiring Faire" site, I would
consider keeping it on my web site.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Offers from artisans for
dressmakers/embroiderers/scribes/skalds?

::GUNNORA::

Writing from work

Please send all replies to gunnora at bga.com