ANST - Proposition: a Kingdom Business Meeting

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Wed Jan 21 21:51:17 PST 1998

Here's another (slightly long) thought on this subject,

I agree with Talen that Kingdom-wide business meetings should deal
with Peerage Circles, Fighting Order meetings, GOofS meetings, and
possibly even chances for Kingdom Officers to meet with their
Regional or Local officers.  The length of time needed for these
meetings to be productive means those attending two or more won't have
time for much else.  Also, at this kind of meeting, Peers and Kingdom
Officers wouldn't be available to teach all those Officer, A&S,
Marshallate, etc. classes.

For many years, the seneschallate and treasury have held classes for
local officers, as attending a class is required before these
officers can be Warranted and "official."  If it weren't for the
amount of work involved, and the high number of warm, qualified
bodies needed to teach, I'd say that this would be a good requirement
for every major group office. (Sorry, personal opinion, please don't
throw things at me!)

I really like the idea of Collegiums specifically for officer
training, marshallate training, etc.. I've worked with
Kingdom/Regional Officers who gave up most of their own personal
time at events to hold individual classes for people who couldn't
make the official scheduled class.  It doesn't take much of this
before events become all work and no fun for these officers.

To be honest, I think the responsibility for office-related
classes must rest primarily on the Regional and deputy
kingdom officers for a couple of reasons:  1) our Kingdom Officers
are *very* busy people.  They have the Kingdom to run (a full time
office in itself) in addition to 5 regions and @45 local groups to
oversee.  2) only official kingdom deputies have the most up-to-date
information on requirements and reporting.

Here's another idea: maybe the kingdom or each region could host its
own collegium for classes of this type, with the full cooperation and
assistance of the Kingdom and Regional officers.  This would also
provide an opportunity for classes on other things needed for our
organization to run smoothly, like: marshalling, autocratting,
feastocratting, etc.

In re-reading what I've said, I guess I could sum it all up by
saying:  I think we need separate meetings for Kingdom business and
for Officer/participant training.  Definitely *not* a minimal effort
way to deal with the problem :-).  The quality of meeting/training
time would be better, but how likely is it that these kinds of
meetings would continue and become regularly attended with the
amount of effort and time they entail?  Would the interest and
attendance in the "officers collegium" meetings rate such effort?

- Kat

Katrionna Heather MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Northern Region, Ansteorra
Currently Northern Regional Chronicler
lcampbel at ossm.edu