ANST - Digital Hiring Faires

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Fri Jan 23 07:21:06 PST 1998

At 07:10 AM 1/23/98 -0600, Ulf wrote:

>It is not a bad idea.  It could make the difference with
>some college students I have known, as to whether or not they
>get to go to an event. If their employer/patron is paying
>their site fee and feeding them, they might be able to get
>a ride to the event.  That's one form of payment in kind.

Back before I became one again, this was something I used to do a lot just
to keep some students involved.  One young gentleman used to repay me with
his homemade chocolate covered strawberries.

>snip good stuff about weekend visits from seamstresses, etc.>

You might also remember that those who wear/display items someone else has
made also have a "responsibility" to make sure everyone knows who made the
item in question.  So, if a friendly neighborhood Laurel should compliment
you on the lovely dress you're wearing, an added benefit to the artisan is
your glowing description of how hard he/she worked researching, sewing,
fitting, etc.

I'm interested in the idea of a hiring fair, whether or not in digital
format.  Since I'm about to become a non-student again and know I'll have
relatively little free time, the idea of commissioning items I want/need is
appealing to me.  Also, I've received so much help from other SCA friends
while a student, it's time to start giving back.

>I know I'm moving away from the "digital" part of the topic,
>but when I get a synaptic connection, it's better to just go
>with it...

I know what you mean.  They happen to me so rarely these days . . .

Margaret

Countess Margaret ny Connor
Barony of Bonwicke
Kingdom of Ansteorra

Lisa A. May
Texas Tech School of Law
Lubbock, Texas

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, then eat and drink as
friends."  W. Shakespeare