ANST - previous threads ... keltoi / religion / holy-days

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Jan 23 02:46:43 PST 1998

ran into this gem on another list that touched several threads from
the last few weeks and i thought that some of the populace here
might find of interest ... best of all, it's *period*!!!  (++g)

'wolf

There is a post, on another ListServ, that indicated that the
Vatican has authorized more liberal research examination of
certain Vatican records relative to the Inquisition.

While the Inquisition and Celts may not normally be thought
to have strong associations, despite mandatory Christianity
elements of Celtic/Gallic religion were continuous into the
Middle Ages and was sought out by Inquisitors as evidence of
heresy, Paganism, Witches, devil worship, etc.

>From the first trial of Joan of Arc.

"There is a tree Joan speaks of where voices communicate to her.
Joan describes the tree:  Quite close to the town of Domremy there is
a tree called the Ladies' Tree, and others call it the Fairies'
Tree, near which is a spring of water, and I have heard tell that
those who are sick and have the fever drink the water of this spring
and ask for its waters to recover their health.

I have witnessed this myself but I do not know if it cures them or
not. It has a big tree called beech from which firm Maypoles are made;
it belonged to Messire Pierre de Bourlemont, Knight. Sometimes I went
out with the other girls and by the tree made garlands (of flowers)
for the image of Our Lady of Domremy..."(C.65-66)

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~lindamar/maid.test.html

While the Inquisition had multiple and differing purposes over its
history, 1231-1834, some of its roots go back to the edicts and Coda
Theodosius of Christian Emperor Theodosius (The Great, c 390 AD), who
proscribed death to Pagans, Witches, those that worshipped at
Megaliths, etc. This was particularly aimed at Celts and those in
Romanized Gaul as well as Witches/Pagans in general and those who
refused to convert to Christianity. As with the Joan of Arc trials,
research into additional Inquisition documents may tell us more about
ancient Celtic (and other Pagan/Witch) customs and religious
practices well into the Middle Ages.

... si vis pacem, para bellum