ANST - Fwd: SC - Feast Pre-registration

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:22:36 PST 1998

The following was found on the sca-cooks list, and appears to have
originated in the Midrealm.

Forwarded without commentary on the inter-kingdom anthropology
aspects (save one: the cloved fruit bit would not be a good idea in
portions of Ansteorra. "Incoming!...."), and only one other
observation: ideas are ideas, we take 'em where we find 'em and
mangle according to our own background & current needs.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone else sending this along. Apologies
for the ugly quoting, I just don't have time to reformat the thing
right now.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com

---"Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net> forwarded:
> ----------
> : Date: Friday, January 23, 1998 01:32:49
> : From: Roy Coutinho
> : To: Middlebridge
> : Subject: [Mid] The Great Apathy Blob Monster
> :
> : Seems to me I've heard this kind of discussion before regarding
"the good
> : old days" and the problems the SCA is seeing in it's growth.
These
> : threads come and go, on and off line, but what rarely happens is
that
> : anybody *does* anything about it.
> :
> : Cynnabar recently hosted a mini-RUM on this topic.  Sternfeld's
Baron
> : recently approved an award (the cloved orange award) designed to
> : encourage courtesy and the practice of social graces in the
medieval
> : fashion.  The A&S competition critera just got a good overhaul.
> :
> : Each of these are defensive arrows against the onslaught of the
Great
> : Apathy Blob Monster.  IMHO, once we've discussed the ills of our
Society
> : -- no post-revels, no cloved fruit, borish "gentles", mundane
life
> : invading our medieval recreations, the rising cost of
participation -- we
> : should pick something that means something to each of us and
***DO***
> : something about it!!
> :
> : About two years ago I was feeling the same way.  I was bored at
an event
> : wondering why I'd bothered to come at all and watch the "middle
class"
> : shoot at the archery range, compete in the fencing arena, play
on their
> : horses, and bead up beautiful gowns of brocade.  I decided to
put my
> : money where my mouth was.  I planned an event, asked my Barony
for
> : support, and we had a *great* time.  The event had reveling,
cloved
> : oranges, and 167 happy people being courteous to each other.
Flirting
> : was encouraged, taught and rewarded.  Wenches and Ladies alike
were wooed
> : and Lords and young lads were blushed over.  The Post revel went
on until
> : sunday afternoon, and the damn thing was a virgin event!
> :
> : I can't say that hosting an event that focuses on social graces
is the
> : solution for everybody, but I will ask that if you feel
compelled to
> : complain about an "ill of our Society", put your money where
your mouth
> : is.  When I hear someone speaking forsoothly, or role-playing in
persona,
> : I slip right into it myself.  I unfortunately don't initiate it
enough
> : myself, which is a skill I'm working on and I appreciate those
who
> : pracitce it.  When I wander through an event, I try to remember
> : curtsey before a noble and greet people with a "Good day,
Milord".  It's
> : so much easier to remember if we pull together.
> :
> : I'm very guilty of negelcting to properly address the nobles in
Sternfeld
> : during the week.  You can hardly shake a stick without hitting
one around
> : here.  But at an event, it's a goal of mine to remember
everyone's titles
> : and *use* them.  I forget a lot, but it's a goal to work
towards, and I
> : wish more people shared that goal with me.
> :
> : When it comes to money, it's not that hard to participate on a
budget.
> : It's absolutely easier and more fun when you can afford to buy
materials
> : and armor and such, but borrowing and saving and budgeting *is*
doable.
> : I beg borrow and cry to get coipes of decent dance music, but
there's an
> : activity that you don't (normally) need armor or paints for!
Organizing