ANST - Re: Cloved Fruit -- what infamous tradition?

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Mon Jan 26 01:34:05 PST 1998

> Present the lemon to a person of the opposite sex you wish to kiss.  If
> they are agreeable to the  game, take a clove to sweeten your breath.
> Give them the lemon.  Kiss them.  Then they get to go find some one to
> kiss.

I've heard of a version where the person presented with the lemon places
a clove on the part of the body they wish to have kissed.  If a lady
does not wish to embrace so familiarly with the lord who has offered her
the lemon, then she might remove a clove with her fingers and balance it
on the back of her hand.  The lord who gave her the lemon then kisses
her hand, and possession of the clove "changes hands" so to speak.  Or
if the lady *does* wish to be kissed upon the mouth she might remove the
clove with her teeth, and then the lord goes 'searching' for said
clove.... I once heard a rumor of an extremely brave woman who
'accidentally' dropped a clove dow the front of her chemise!  Oh la la!
I do not even wish to think of such a scandal!

I've heard a lot about the cloved fruit games played in the SCA, but
have never been at the right revel at the right time.....

sigh.

Ghia
--
mka: Elayne "Ely" Hoover