ANST - Cloved Fruit and Etiquette, Redux

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jan 27 08:43:50 PST 1998

Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com> wrote:
> Those of us who will hurl the damned things do try to refuse
> the fruit politely first.

If this statement has been made before, I missed it in the
mail backlog I haven't read.  In any event, it needs to be
emphasized.  The person may be an out-of-kingdom transplant,
for example, and may not know that many people frown upon it
here.

As for hurling after refusing: Miss Manners would decry
that, saying that rudeness is not proper cause for rudeness
(I would give an SCA example that dishonorable conduct on
the field is not just cause of a dishonorable reply).  Mind
you, I'm just reporting Miss Manners.  Now, if it becomes an
assault, then the realm of manners and the realm of law is
entered.

> If you just absolutely MUST force your attentions on a
> stranger, it is your responsibility to be as gallant and
> courtly as possible, and to accept NO as NO and leave it
> at that.

For any definition of the words I know of, if they're
"gallant and courtly", they're not forcing their attentions
on anyone, they're accepting "no" as meaning "no", and
they're kissing strangers in polite places and ways (air
kisses over the fingertips work well) and with clear
consent.  That is, if they're "forcing their attentions",
give up any hope of "gallant and courtly" and hope for
"arrested and jailed".

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.