ANST - cloved fruit

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:27:02 PST 1998

>Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know how long a cloved lemon will keep fresh.  As
>> in....could I ship one through snail mail?
>
>However, I would imagine that with fresh fruit, pierced in multiple
places,
>you would have trouble with mold or the fruit getting mushy with all
the
>juice.
>
>Stefan li Rous

In the many years that I've done cloved fruit, I've had ONE grow mold.
Never have I had one get mushy. (I use primarily oranges.) The cloves
are dried, and they plug the holes. The juice usually gets absorbed into
the cloves, and then evaporates. Not even in high humidity places like
Cincinnati have I had problems. In fact, I currently have a cloved navel
orange hanging in my bedroom doorway, and it looks rather dessicated.
It's maybe 5 feet from the bathroom (read: steam from hot showers.)

Lady Catriona Rowley