ANST - A&S "skill ranks"...

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:07:39 PST 1998

---"Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at crl.com> wrote:
> Pug wrote:
> > Those people playing Mozart, etc, are just reproducing
> > something that has been done for many years. They are not creating
> > anything new.
> I think I disagree.  There is always room for how to interpret
> the music -- the technique.  (Similarly, N different heralds can
> do a court N different ways, even if they say exactly the
> same words.)

Daniel, how long have you been an SCA herald?

Semi-rhetorical question, actually, but I must accuse you of
over-simplifying your example. N heralds can "do court" AT LEAST N!
(N-factorial) different ways, and that only takes into account solo
officiations and completely neglects individual variation over time.

Given exactly the same script, read and/or recited verbatim, any
herald worth his perquisites should be able to pull off at least
three versions without thinking OR breathing too hard. And all of
those would fall into "period" styles, as best we know them, with
ease. (I'm thinking in particular of what I have mentally tagged as
"court monotone" AKA "bored legal clerk", "singsong clerkish" AKA
"repeating multi-tone", and "sonorous vocal" AKA "pompous
officialiality".)

AND any set of those performance styles multiply by an additional
factor where the herald(s) is (are) also an() accomplished
musician(s) and might bethink him or her self (themselves) to
actually sing portions of the business. (Yes, people, I *know* that
it has been done before...)

> I think there's more room for interpretation in earlier arts,
> where we don't have complete information -- consider redacting
> recipies or reconstructing a dance.

Or performing a song for which we have words but for which the music
was only reduced to standardized notation hundreds of years
afterward. (The works of the troubadour and trou'vere come to mind
as my  example: while there may have been SOME notation in use, it
was neither standardized across more than a small corner of Europe
nor directly comparable to modern 20th century staff & note format.)

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com