ANST - 14th century knights

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 7 13:02:03 PST 1998

At 02:36 PM 1/7/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Alexis wrote:
>> Speaking as someone who has just moved up 200 years or so (~1400-1425, I
>> prefer the later armor styles), I am curious as to what era most people
>> are choosing to center on.

Sir Conor is mid-to-late 14th Century, about the same era that Sir Pendaran
described earlier, although Conor has been there for a lot longer.  I
started out in  the early 6th century, in Ireland (complete with the moniker
Caireach ni Ruadhagan--boy, is *that* a mouthful), but realized I could have
a lot more fun a thousand years later in England.  Occasionaly I get hung up
in the 14th or 15th century (or even earlier) just because I like the clothes!

I do find it funny to see people's definitions of "early" and "late."  In my
earlier persona I thought the 14th century very late, but once when I wore a
cotehardie and sideless surcoat to an event, [then] Lord Pendaran
complimented the outfit and said something to the effect that far too few
people did early stuff really well...

>I haven't seen such a trend in my area.  I feel quite surrounded
>by earlier personae, especially celts, gael, and norse, plus
>the odd byzantine.
>
>- Galen of Bristol

Oh, I don't know, Galen, Zara Zina's not *that* odd. ;^)

Catherine