ANST - The Sword of State (long)

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Jan 7 15:06:55 PST 1998

Galen of Bristol here...

Viscountess Megan Andoniel of Glengalen, Mistress
of the Pelican and Lion of Ansteorra, has asked
me to post the following, so that people may
understand the significance of the theft of
the Great Sword of State of Ansteorra from Their
Majesties' truck.  Following this history is a
sonnet which I have written about the loss of the
sword.

**********
Ansteorra, then being a principality of Atenveldt,
yielded to its neighbor principality Megan of Namron
to be their Princess, and at that time Orm went to
the King of Atenveldt, who was Jonathan DeLaufyson,
saying that he desired to be wed to a princess of the
realm.  The king said if you do these deeds for me I
shall promise you the hand of this princess:  First,
go to Al Barran.  There is a rock in an abbey there
which is the same rock that the kings of Atenveldt
stand upon at coronation, and the monks withhold it,
for I have made them subject.   Bring me the rock.
Second, go to the Outlands and guard the princess
all the days that she is there.  And if I shall go
to war, bring to my aid military force.  And this
Orm swore he would do, giving the king a ring to
show his intent.  And it came to pass that through
great hardship, danger and trial, each of these
things were done, and Orm returned from the Outlands
three times bringing the rock, aid in war, then the
princess, when her reign was accomplished.

HOW THE RAVEN CAME TO SAIL

In the time of their reign in Atenveldt, Willow,
Queen, gave to her foster sons, Frea and Ivar of
Namron, a ship, worthy of kings sons, and they
called it the Raven, and found hardy warriors to
man her oars. Later, on returning from the Outlands
Orm, being seasoned in battle, was called by the
Raven captains to man her steer board.  Many months
after, Megan was called to pull an oar, being less
seasoned, but hardy, quick with spear, and tenacious;
and Megan and Cyf were the only women ever to row or
fight on the ship Raven.

CREATION OF THE LIONS AND HOW ORM WAS MADE PREMIER

As Megan returned from the Outlands, Ansteorra became
a kingdom.  Jonathan and Willow, who had been king and
queen of Atenveldt ruled first on the throne of Ansteorra.
Many deeds they did that strengthened our kingdom, and
became part of our oldest traditions, yet deeds were
done, too, by royalty and nobility alike, that brought
harm.   The kingdom was torn by strife.   Now sad times
befell the new kingdom, and actions were taken by many
that all regretted later.  Ansteorra learned to her sorrow
that strength lay in unity, as outsiders came to impose
their will upon the kingdom.

In this time, as Jonathan and Willow made ready to leave
the thrones to their heirs, they created an order to
embody the Spirit of values cherished, that others in the
kingdom might rally and follow their lead, and this order
they called the Lions of Ansteorra, Defenders of the Dream.
For the first of this order they chose Orm Skjoldbidig,
known as the Red.  They retired, whereon  Lloyd and Jocelyn
ascended the throne.

HOW MEGAN FOUND THE SWORD, THE RAVENS BOUGHT IT,
AND ORM REFORGED IT

Now, Megan, returned to her lands, sought a gift for
Ansteorra where she was born.  She found a sword in
the keeping of a man of  Atenveldt and seeing that it
was once well made by the force of hammer she asked
its history. This man said he had only just brought
it from the desert of Atenveldt, and told of how it
had seen battle.  Megan thought it would be a good
sword if it could be worked, though it had taken grievous
harm in service.

At this time the kingdom was young and there was little
that was used by the king that was both a weapon and
a symbol of state; and Megan thought a symbol of unity
would be good.  The sword could  be had, but at a price
in gold, so Megan went to the Ravens and told them what
she found, and what she foresaw could be the story of
the sword, if it but could be acquired.  Megan and Orm
pledged half the sword's price, the Raven captains Frea
and Ivar just under a fourth each, and each of the remaining
Ravens including Richenda, Finn, Cyf, Edward the Proud,
Morgan the Grey, Red Malcom, and others, made up the balance.

Orm then took the blade into his hands, and under the
starlight of the realm he reforged  it and made it straight.

HOW ORM CLAIMED HIS BRIDE AND THE SWORD CAME TO THE KING

Now Orm took thought that he would claim his bride.  He
gathered to himself the Raven captains Frea and Ivar, and
his kin and housecarls, and came before the king who was
on royal progress in his barony called the Steppes.  Without
leave of herald straight from ship he came, and asked the king
for the hand of Megan, the king's kin who sat in court beside
him.  The king demanded by what reason he should deliver up the
chieftess.  Orm spoke of his tasks and Jonathan, duke, set forth
how he had pledged to Orm.  The bride price and matter of the
bride's weapons were settled, as is told elsewhere, but Lloyd
asked what should be given him for his part in this.  At this,
Ivar stepped forth, and drew a red cloak from his mailed fist
in which he held a bare ebon blade, which the king drew.

And Orm said "Take this oh king, as a wedding gift from me,
and the crew of the ship Raven, unto the Kingdom of Ansteorra,
to stand and be used as the sword of state."  And to this Lloyd
agreed.

IVAR IS MADE LION

Their reign came to an end, and King Lloyd called Ivar to stand
by Orm and wear the badge of the White Lion.  Lloyd left the
sword of state with his crown upon the throne, and Jan became
king, and took up both crown and sword.

MEGAN IS MADE LION

In their time Jan and Kemreth ruled fairly, and there was
prosperity and laughter in their reign. When this was nearly
at and end, Jan  gave Megan a lion made all of silver, and
brought her to stand by Orm and by Ivar.  In this time Jan
gave thought  it would be fitting that the Sword of State be
cared for by the Lions.

THE SWORD PASSES TO THE LIONS

Now at this time the Order of the Lions, Defenders of the
Dream was very small, being only Orm, Ivar and Megan, and
these three sailed on the ship Raven, and the sword was
entrusted to the Raven crew for care.  In the time of Sigmund
and Sieglinde, the heirs of Jan and Kemreth, the Raven was
sailing often abroad, and it became difficult to tend the
sword for the king.  Megan thinking on Jan's words, sought
with the Raven crew that the sword might be given to the
care of the Lions of Ansteorra, for all the Lions were also
Raven at that time.  To this the Ravens agreed, having seen
their names and a place of honor made for their role in bringing
the sword to the kingdom.

THE PLEDGE

Now Orm, Ivar and Megan went before Sigmund, king, and let
it be known that the Ravens tendered stewardship of the sword
to the Lions of Ansteorra.  They pledged, as Defenders of the
Dream, to guard the sword and the principles for which it stood,
and received in pledge that  the sword of state would remain
their especial trust as the symbol of all that the Lions guard,
and that when the first sword was retired, it should go to Orm
and Megan's care, while the Lions, together, would bring forth
a new sword, in stewardship, as before.  These pledges, on both
sides, were renewed between the Lions and Finn Kelly O'Donnell
who followed Sigmund, and thereafter between the Lions and other
sovereigns.  However, as the order grew and became more widespread,
this knowledge was passed on less and less, until there came a
time when the pledge was forgotten and the kings knew not where
the sword came from.  Neither so, did many lions know.

HOW THE LIONS UPHELD THEIR STEWARDSHIP

Hrabia Jan was called to the company of the Lions, and at
the end of Sigmund's reign  the Lions came forth together
and Jan took the sword from him, for the Lions to hold in
that dangerous time when there is no king.  And when the
heir, Finn Kelly came forth, they challenged him, and were
satisfied of his answer.  So it was established that the
Lions would guard the sword as the chivalry guard the king's
crown, and all that the order was created to embody, the
sword came to embody also.  At times, so precious was the
sword for what it symbolized, both the Chivalry and the Royal
Family tried to gain its stewardship from the Lions, only to
be reminded of the pledges of kings.

Four times did the sword return to the hand of Orm and Megan,
for renewal and care.  In that time Orm fashioned a scabbard,
and twice rewrapped the hilt; Megan etched its pommel and
scabbard ornaments; and Orm's apprentice, Xylon, reworked
the pommel and quillions.  Each time, the ebon finish was
restored.  The sword was last cared for by all three in the
reign of Michael IV, and was passed from him to his heirs.

THIS IS THE STORY OF THE SWORD OF ANSTEORRA,  ITS TRADITIONS
UNTIL THE TIME OF ITS LOSS, THE PLEDGE OF THE LIONS AS STEWARDS,
AND THE PLEDGE OF THE KINGS REGARDING IT.

        - Megan Andoniel of Glengalen
**********

THE GREAT SWORD

It's gone now, but I held it in my hands
As I stood behind Hector, and Inman,
Behind Rowan, Kein, the Kings of these lands,
For Mikael, Patrick, Mahadi, such men.
My hand on its hilt, Badon was knighted.
It touched my shoulders, giving accolade.
On many men, and three women alighted,
This royal emblem, by which knights were made.
Take by foul thieves who came in the night
A sharp sable blade, pommel bearing star.
Not lost in battle, not taken by might;
The King's men sought for it, both near and far.
One day, perhaps, this great sword will return;
But today, the tears in my eyes still burn.

     - Galen of Bristol, Bard of Ansteorra

--
pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"The Constitution is a radical document ... it is the job