ANST - The Sword of State (long)

Shane B. shaneb at icubed.net
Wed Jan 7 22:13:57 PST 1998

Ahhh I remember when Lord Bethan used to tote this iconicle around.
[sigh]

Alastair

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> [...]
> and that when the first sword was retired, it should go to Orm
> and Megan's care, while the Lions, together, would bring forth
> a new sword, in stewardship, as before.  These pledges, on both
> sides, were renewed between the Lions and Finn Kelly O'Donnell
> who followed Sigmund, and thereafter between the Lions and other
> sovereigns.  However, as the order grew and became more widespread,
> this knowledge was passed on less and less, until there came a
> time when the pledge was forgotten and the kings knew not where
> the sword came from.  Neither so, did many lions know.
>
> HOW THE LIONS UPHELD THEIR STEWARDSHIP
>
> Hrabia Jan was called to the company of the Lions, and at
> the end of Sigmund's reign  the Lions came forth together
> and Jan took the sword from him, for the Lions to hold in
> that dangerous time when there is no king.  And when the
> heir, Finn Kelly came forth, they challenged him, and were
> satisfied of his answer.  So it was established that the
> Lions would guard the sword as the chivalry guard the king's
> crown, and all that the order was created to embody, the
> sword came to embody also.  At times, so precious was the
> sword for what it symbolized, both the Chivalry and the Royal
> Family tried to gain its stewardship from the Lions, only to
> be reminded of the pledges of kings.
>
> Four times did the sword return to the hand of Orm and Megan,
> for renewal and care.  In that time Orm fashioned a scabbard,
> and twice rewrapped the hilt; Megan etched its pommel and
> scabbard ornaments; and Orm's apprentice, Xylon, reworked
> the pommel and quillions.  Each time, the ebon finish was
> restored.  The sword was last cared for by all three in the
> reign of Michael IV, and was passed from him to his heirs.
>
> THIS IS THE STORY OF THE SWORD OF ANSTEORRA,  ITS TRADITIONS
> UNTIL THE TIME OF ITS LOSS, THE PLEDGE OF THE LIONS AS STEWARDS,
> AND THE PLEDGE OF THE KINGS REGARDING IT.
>
>         - Megan Andoniel of Glengalen
> **********
>
> THE GREAT SWORD
>
> It's gone now, but I held it in my hands
> As I stood behind Hector, and Inman,
> Behind Rowan, Kein, the Kings of these lands,
> For Mikael, Patrick, Mahadi, such men.
> My hand on its hilt, Badon was knighted.
> It touched my shoulders, giving accolade.
> On many men, and three women alighted,
> This royal emblem, by which knights were made.
> Take by foul thieves who came in the night
> A sharp sable blade, pommel bearing star.
> Not lost in battle, not taken by might;
> The King's men sought for it, both near and far.
> One day, perhaps, this great sword will return;
> But today, the tears in my eyes still burn.
>
>      - Galen of Bristol, Bard of Ansteorra
>
> --
> pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
> "The Constitution is a radical document ... it is the job
> of the Government to rein in people's rights."
> -- President Clinton, May 1994, MTV's "Enough is Enough."

Shane (Alastair Lord Aylward)
                 ,  ,, ,
           , ,; ; ;;  ; ;  ;
        , ; ';  ;  ;; .-''\ ; ;
     , ;  ;`  ; ,; . / /8b \ ; ;
     `; ; .;'         ;,\8 |  ;  ;
      ` ;/   / `_      ; ;;    ;  ; ;
         |/.'  /9)    ;  ; `    ;  ; ;
        ,/'          ; ; ;  ;   ; ; ; ;
       /_            ;    ;  `    ;  ;
      `?8P"  .      ;  ; ; ; ;     ;  ;;
"Ye Lion's Goblette Taverne" - The world's LARGEST collection of SCA,
RENN'
FAIRE, medieval research and middle ages re-creational societies links!

          http://www.icubed.net/usr/shaneb/

                    OR

      http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/5963