ANST - Coronation

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 12 14:52:21 PST 1998

At 04:19 PM 1/12/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Galen here!

>I'm sure I won't be the only one to mention Kein & Alisha's
>first Coronation, in Bryn Gwlad, when Alisha's horse, startled
>by an airplane (the site was the Burnet Co. Fairgrounds, next
>to the Burnet airport), rolled over on its back with the new
>Queen still on it,

Just a minor correction here, since I was (operative word, was) the owner of
said horse.  The horse did not merely 'roll over,' she reared, straight up
and Alisha slid off the back, being mounted side-saddle, and the mare then
fell backwards, on top of the Crown Princess-Soon-to-be-Queen.  I cannot
describe to you the range and depth of emotions that ran through me as I
watched Bandit nearly kill someone I care a great deal about.  All of our
safety precautions went by the wayside--including squires on either side to
pull her off in the event of an emergency--because it all happened so fast.
I second Daniel's caution.  Unless you have a crowd-wise horse and Alexis is
an EXPERIENCED (not as in, Oh, I've ridden a few times) rider, I would
caution against it.  Unfortunately, in our modern society, those we would
call knight have very little to do with their medieval counterparts' true
occupation (the code of chivalry was for those who rode horses, after all
[chival-  -- cheval].  I'm not being overly cautious nor a scaredy-cat.
Horses can kill you without even meaning to and very often the one who gets
hurt is an innocent bystander.  Fortunately, Bandit was on the small side,
less than 1000 lbs.  If she had been a full sized warmblood, like the others
we used, Alisha might not be here.  (Of course the temperament of a
warmblood *might* have precluded the incident, too.)  Horses have very hard
hooves and 50,000 years of evolution tells them to run when they sense
danger--they don't paricularly care if you are in the way.

Catherine
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |