ANST - [scribes]: Re: A Command, okay really a plea

kimberly at mail.topher.net kimberly at mail.topher.net
Mon Jan 12 14:19:49 PST 1998

Snipped from Daniel de Lincoln:
> Of course, there's the Ansteorran system of pre-printed charters,

Which does not at all imply that pre-printed charters don't have a
lot of hours in them.  Someone did the original research and
calligraphy and illumination (which would take me 10 or 12 hours - or
longer - it's mostly the research part that kills me), it takes
between 1and 5 hours to paint one (the way I do it, anyway -
admittedly, I'm painfully slow), and as Sable Scroll, I can spend as
many as eight or ten hours a week calliging in just the names and
dates on all the charters to be presented for any given weekend.  But
that's just me.  Like I said, I'm slow.  :)  As I get more
experience, I seem to be getting a little faster, but it still takes
me a lot of hours to do a scroll from start to finish.  I've met
several illuminators who turn out really beautiful work in amazingly
short periods of time and I'm completely envious of them.

I'd like to know more about how they do it in other kingdoms.  I've
grown up in Ansteorra with pre-printed charters, and I have a hard
time envisioning how it could be possible to give out only original
scrolls, particularly with the quantities of scrolls we give out.  It
seems to run 30 scrolls a week or so during tourney season (it's
considerably less in the winter months), and that's not counting
peerages, baronial orders, and local cookies, prizes, and titles.

Say, Aquilanne, how do you subscribe to that scribes' list anyway? :)

HL Thyra of Black Oak Keep
Sable Scroll (for five more days, anyway)
Lady to Sir Gunthar Jonsson, who is dead meat if he ever gets us into
another feast ever again.....

kochka at gvl.esys.com