ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:03:47 PST 1998

At 10:07 PM 1/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com> wrote:
>
>> First, as to the volume: yes the noise was loud.  It was
>> hard to hear from the first row, and impossible beond the
>> fifth.  Yes, people were talking, but no worse than at
>> other events.
>
>The acoustics were indeed bad, but "normal" levels of
>talking * the largest indoor event in the kingdom ==
>inaudible.  The fuggheads who kept talking (and some who I
>had hoped would know better, like N-year high-ranking
>people) were annoying me to no end.

At the back of the hall it was impossible to hear even if everyone had been
quiet as a mouse.  It is not fair to ask people who can't hear a danged
thing to sit there quietly twiddling their thumbs for 2-3 hours, bored to
tears.  Also, there were a number of small children who cannot be merely
stuffed in a closet for this duration of court.  There was nowhere for them
to go.  I have a suggestion.  In a hall that size, why not have a couple of
relay heralds to 'broadcast' not only announcements, but what has actually
transpired in court.  You will find that some people will probably still
talk, but most will want to be quiet if there is actually something to hear!
Miking is not the answer.  Yuck.

Catherine
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |