ANST - Steppes 12th Night

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Jan 14 05:20:21 PST 1998

Kaitlyn McKenna wrote:

> Yes, we also have similar problems in Stargate...usually we do buffet.
> At Yule we tried to make the buffet more interesting, less cafeteria
> style.  One Yule we had each table send up one of their own to act as
> their server.  We had large platters for them to bring up for that
> remove of food, and a different person from that table could be "server"
> on the next remove.

I guess buffet serving is one way to handle it. But it's not period and
for pot luck dinners I've found it usually results in the first third
of the people in line getting lots of everything, the second third
getting less of most of it and the last third getting a little of a
only a few dishes.

I have heard of what I think is a good solution to this but it requires
more room than some feast halls have. Basically, you sit on only one
side of the tables or at least leave one or two seats free. This is
where the food from that table goes. Everyone starts at their table
and progresses from there in an orderly manner around the room. Thus
everyone starts at the same time, no cattle herd mentality. As the
food dwindles it can be moved to a central location.

This could also be combined with the situation where the group provides
the meats or breads by putting these in a central location to start.

As far as I know, this type of buffet serving has never been tried in
this kingdom.

The original messages and I'm sure some details I left out can be
found in this file in my Florilegium:
feast-serving-msg (26K) 10/23/97    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.

My Florilegium files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net