ANST - Chivalry at Steppes 12th Night

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Tue Jan 13 21:55:55 PST 1998

> Although, considering that we had at least 8 knights in there, is
> it remarkable that there were only one or two squires?

Not remarkable at all.  In our defense, I'd have to guess that we
simply weren't let in on the fact that help was needed.  The
recruiting effort was, after all, directed primarily toward the
Chivalry - not us lowly squires....  Perhaps someone felt the belts
hadn't been doing their fair share,  or maybe they just look
downright cuter in aprons than their men-(and women)-at-arms.

I'm just positive that my hard-working, ever-willing fellow squires
would have jumped at the chance to help out, had we but known....
After all, isn't that in our contract?  To protect our Knights from
the perils of dishpan hands?

Come to think of it,  I remember specifically being asked where my
Lord was toward the end of court.  When I replied that he was
holding the sword of state (one of those "other" knightly duties)
nobody let on why he was being sought.  Personally, I'd have been
thrilled to direct Barn toward the kitchen when I saw him after
court.  At home, he tries constantly to convince me he is allergic to
dish soap.  I think a little "peer" pressure might have been just the
thing to show him otherwise....

- Kat

Katrionna MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer