ANST - Ads on web pages....

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 14 20:15:54 PST 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, j'lynn yeates <jyeates at bga.com> wrote:
> Tournament Illuminated (TI) is a "official" SCA
> publication and they accept and publish *relevent*
> commercial advertisements.  ...
>
> why?  in mnay cases simply to help defray costs of service
> to allow the publicatoion to remain online.  ...
>
> why should web publications be held to a different set of
> standards than their dead-tree brethren?

Last I heard, the SCA only allows corporate publications and
kingdom newsletters to take money for ads.  This is because
ad income is called by the IRS something like "unrelated
business income", and has to be reported specially on the
tax forms and can't be above a certain percentage before
endangering the tax-exempt status.  I'm told that the
bookkeeping headache alone is enough reason to cause the
ban.  If anyone has better or more recent info, please let
us know.

In such a case, SCA branch web pages are held to the same
standard: "don't".

--
Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com