ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts - Brand new, help!

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 14 21:14:08 PST 1998

Welcome, Rowan!

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Timo / Tim Lozos <dentim at myriad.net>
wrote:
> GOA stands for "Grant of Arms", a higher level award. This
> entitles the bearer to be called "The Honorable Lord X" or
> "The Honorable Lady Y".  This is often abbreviated "THL"
> or "HL".

More Details Than You May Want To Know At This Point (Hoping
I Don't Confuse Matters -- Sorry If I Do -- Ignore Me If You
Like) Dept.:

SCA usage also includes "His Lordship X" / "Her Ladyship X".
Despite some assertions, I've seen the phrases "your
lordship" / "your ladyship" in period letters (The Lisle
Letters).  I've not seen them in the third person or as a
title in period, but I didn't see "Honorable" as a title in
the Lisle letters.

Acronyms that don't spell a pre-existing word (e.g., FUBAR,
AWOL, SCUBA, or THL, HL, AOA), are a 20th-Century
phenomenon.  Nonetheless, Timo is right that you see THL or
HL.

> ps: if you hear the word "armigerious" (sp?) ,that means
> bearing Arms, as all the award above do.

That. Dept. Cont.: "armigerous".  That's "bearing arms" in
the sense of "bearing a coat of arms".  Consult A Herald
someday if you're interested.  (You don't actually have to
have an AoA to have a heraldic device, but I won't digress
into the details unless you're interested.)

BTW, Rowan: Personally, I suggest using a historically
documentable first name within a few months after you decide
you'll be staying in the group.  (No need to bother before!)
I don't know whether or not Rowan was used by real people as
a name in the SCA time period -- my little information leans
toward "not", but I can't be at *all* definitive.  If you'd
like to look into a name, I'd be glad to help, as would many
others.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.